How do you become a victim of Skimming?
Well, the most common chances of getting skimmed are restaurants or bars where the skimmer possess your credit card for short time out of your immediate view.
Nowadays the thieves are inserting a device in the card slot of the Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs), which reads the magnetic strip as the user unknowingly inserts the card in the slot. These devices are used in conjunction with a pinhole camera to read the user’s PIN at the same time. This is how besides credit cards, the bank cards are skimmed, duplicated with the bank details, distributed and used somewhere in the World. It does not mean, every ATM is skimmed, it usually happens with the ATMs located in the remote places, Gas/Petrol Stations, Open ATMs in public places.
How can you protect yourselves and what are the measures you have to take incase of the theft?
To some extent it is out of your control to protect the theft of the data, yet being careful can avoid possible risk.
- Avoid using the remote ATMs, ATMs at Gas/Petrol Stations on Highways and open ATMs at public places.
- Do not use the machines where you suspect any manipulations.
- Regularly check your bank statements and in case if you find any unauthorized withdraws, you can immediately block the card and inform the bank. For banks in Germany, you can use 01805 / 021021 or 0049 / 1805 - 021 021 round the clock.
- If you notice any theft of your card or theft of information, immediately report the theft by calling the central emergency number of Germany 116 116. It is also centre to the liability for possible fraud with the card. In addition, you need to file a police compliant and inform the bank. Sometimes if you inform the bank, the banks shall guide you in filing the police compliant and with further follow up.
- Pay attention when you enter the PIN at ATMs, make sure you cover it with your free hand.
Excerpts From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud